Monday, October 11, 2010

The Contemplative Month

October is a beautiful month.  A month of warm days and cool nights.  A month of long sunsets and subtle sunrises.  It is my favorite time of year.  It is also an introspective time of year for me, for a variety of reasons I won’t detail here and now. This October is no different. October is the month of contemplation.  October is the month of remembrance.

October is also already one-third gone. How fast the time seems to be flying this year.  Each day flows by and spins into the next and the next and yet again, the next.  In between those days there fall many things are not done.  They just seem to slip away. 

I’ve been free-writing this October, but I’ve only been able to do it about fifty percent of the time.  In the other fifty percent I’ve either banged in writers block (about thirty percent of the time) or simply forgotten (about twenty percent of the time).  Compared to my writing output over most of the summer though, that has been pretty good. I haven’t really written anything that dazzles me – but I have managed to write.

Over the weekend, as I was wandering, I stopped at Barnes & Noble and picked up something called “The Writers Tool Box”, which is a book and some tools to help a writer – I am looking forward to giving them a try, perhaps tonight when I get home.  I opened the tool box on Sunday and glanced through the material and it looked like it might be of some help.

So, let us continue on this particular journey through this contemplative month and see if this is the month that I manage to work my way through my writers block.

 

No comments: