Friday, October 15, 2010

The Ides of October

Well, technically, it isn’t the Ides of October, but close enough for government contractor work.  I’ve long been in love with fall weather and this fall has been no exception.  I love the warm days and cool nights.  To me, that is perfect weather – warm enough in the day to take the jacket off, cold enough at night to put the jacket on.  Oh, and can I mention that wonderful feeling of being in a warm bed on a cool morning.  Just an outstanding time of year, all in all.

I’ve been focused at work this week. My manager is out on vacation, so I’ve been attending meetings and fending off callers on her behalf, which is always interesting and amusing.  It is interesting because it is a window into what is going on at the level above me and it’s amusing because, well, some of the stuff is just amusing. I guess you can firmly put me in the list of people who thinks the flatter an organization is the better.  If you get too many layers you start to run into isolation, where upper management not only doesn’t know what is happening in the field, but they are also far enough away that they don’t even actually know what the processes and procedures are.

I think if I were to give a piece of advice to aspiring managers it would be this – no matter how far you rise in the organization always take the time to know what your basic field person, the person who builds your product or actually provides your service, is doing. That key bit of information can make the difference between a good decision and a bad decision.

Switching to another topic, I stopped at a sporting goods store yesterday and bought myself a pool cue.  I’ve been feeling the need to take up a hobby and lately I’ve been heading to the pool hall on the weekends to spend a couple of hours playing pool.  I used to play years ago, I used to be fairly good.  I can say without hesitation that – I’m not.  I haven’t played in so long that I am having to relearn the very basics of form, position and style.  I did read an interesting article the other day that broke the basics of pool down into seven things, so I memorized those seven things and I am going to give them a try and see how it improves my game.

I also stopped at Nob Hill last night and picked up an assortment of Greek Gods yogurt (I bought two containers of each flavor) based on T.R.’s recommendation.  T.R. was the one who turned me on to the incredible Sheer Bliss ice cream and she was right about the Greek God’s yogurt too. If you haven’t seen it, it is worth looking for – just outstanding.  I’ve already fallen in love with their pomegranate flavor.  The simple pleasures of life are amazing things.  Ice cream and yogurt and T.R. all fall into that category for me.  (And yes, I was able to write “turned me on to…” without…diverting.)

So, we are at the Ides of October.  Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope your fall finds a few magical moments hidden in the nooks and crannies.

 

No comments: