Monday, November 1, 2010

Thoughts in a Parking Lot

Okay, technically I am not in the parking lot, I am overlooking it as I sit outside Johnny Rockets waiting for the arrival of Tom and Tony for dinner. Tonight is Tom's last night in California. I put him on the plane back to South Dakota, drawing to a close this chapter of Tom's Excellent Adventure. Wish him the best for the next stage in his journey, where ever it takes him.

I had a Monday today for no other reason than it was Monday. Work was about four hours of meetings, a quick lunch, a bit of trouble-shooting and email, then I flexed out early to run a couple of errands (bank, post office, market, and drug store). I never quite seemed to get out of second gear today. I just could not get rolling.

It's a beautiful evening sitting here, watching people wander by, listening to the indecipherable hum of nearby voices. The sun is bright, the sky very blue, and there is a cool breeze blowing over my right shoulder, almost as if the world were blowing softly in my ear.

Crows and gulls compete for the same scraps, foraging the same parts of the parking lot, warily eyeing each other. I watch the people walking by, noting which are absorbed in their own thoughts and which are aware of this beautiful world around them. It's a parade of children, mothers, grandmothers and trophy wives. You have to love it.

I am not sure the mood I am in today, it is as if its a mood of some sort that is constantly sliding out of my vision, constantly slipping out of my grasp, a mercurial mood of an uncertain origin.

And in the mercurial mood I slide into the end of the day, a post-modern Mercutio.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: