Friday, February 10, 2012

Sliding Into The Weekend

Well, my scant entries this last week tell the tale.  Work was assorted waves of chaos through the week.  There was a project that needed to be done on a tight timeline and, unfortunately, too many managers and directors got involved and it ultimately contained four (that is right, four) complete cycles of re-work because they kept changing their minds on exactly what they wanted/needed to do.  By the time we reached the end of the process it had taken far longer than it should have and irritated every one. I usually have an even disposition, but I was getting snippy as we got to the end of the process on Thursday.  Even my patience was wearing thin.

So, it was nice that it was a short work week, with only four days.  I was off today and had a pretty good day. I slept in a bit, I had breakfast, I went to a work teleconference and send some work related email, then I slipped out for lunch.  After lunch I stopped at Old Navy and then Macy's and bought a new, middle weight winter coat. From there, I wandered through Valley Fair Shopping Center, stopped at the Apple Store, visited a few of the stores that feed my luggage fetish, then stopped and the bank, shot an hour of pool, went park walking and read "The Pink Institution", then met Tony for pizza at Mama Mia's on Hamilton. That brings us to this moment, right here, where I am sitting at home, writing this entry and uploading CD's into iTunes.

I have been working for a while on getting my entire CD collection uploaded into iTunes.  I am on the last binder, and I would estimate I have maybe eighty CD's to go.  Whew!  That was a lot of CD's, but it will be nice to have it all available to me electronically via my iPod.  In the process of loading CD's I ran across more than a few CD's that I haven't listened to, or that I thought I had lost.  Listening to them has been fun. Annie Lennox's "Songs of Mass Destruction" pops into mind.  Additionally, I bought Rachel Yamagata's Chesapeake last weekend and have had it in high rotation for the last couple of days (it played a role in keeping me from getting to snippy at work!).

I ran most of my errands today, so Saturday and Sunday, I really don't have anything I must do.  As some point in the weekend I want to see a movie (Safe House, with Denzel Washington) and at some point in the weekend I want to do a load of laundry.  I will be off to Maryland for a business trip all next week, so I am going to be able to skip the trip to the market for fresh produce and fresh meat. It is nice sliding into the weekend with nothing that must be done.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention - my novel writing went pretty well in January, with about 12,000 finished words and a lot of lessons learned.  T.R. is writing a alternative type novel (a collection of flash and poetry) that I've been impressed by, and we are doing our best to encourage each other.  Her work has is a very emotionally powerful true story, that I am already dying to read in its finished form.  It is definitely cool to be writing.  February, for me, has been nowhere near as productive, but I am hoping to make up for it this weekend, and probably while in flight.

No comments: