Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thinking Strategically

I often wonder why it is that some people cannot think strategically (long term) and in contingencies. I've often found myself, in work and in my personal life, trying to encourage people to do it, often without any significant results.

I had a long talk today with my boss at work about the subject.  We've recently implemented a new system that is going to grow at a very fast rate and I can see where the curve is going.  Given the complexity potential in the system it is obvious (to me) that it is going to require staffing at a certain level and with a certain skill set, specifically the ability to design media based communication collateral and the technical skills to implement it in a fairly powerful editing suite. Throughout most of the conversation my boss was stuck on the tactical level.  I think, at the end of the conversation, she may have gotten was I was talking about, but I am not really sure.  I hope so.

On the flip side I have a friend who is going through some powerful life changing events and he is counting on one outcome.  To me, looking at it, there is a whole array of outcomes that are potential. However, he has no contingency plans. I am hugely curious to watch it unfold and half afraid that it is ultimately going to be a train wreck.

I wonder if there are any good books that teach strategic thinking or complexity management.

No comments: