Wednesday, December 3, 2008

In The Land Of The Blind

I was sitting on a meeting today at work and that quote popped into my
mind about "in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king".

The conclusion was ultimately one of those things that truly irritate
me. The decision was made to remove a functionality from the users
because the perception was that it was not being used correctly. There
was no quantative data and no method to validate it's success or
failure in place. The decision was based on anecdotal evidence and
inconvenience. Grrrrrr. LOL - I felt like saying "uh, we're analysts
right? Do you think we should maybe analyze some data?"

"I know what the data says, but I am going with my gut on this one..."

Some times the gut is very right. Some times the gut is very wrong.
The best decisions are those where analytics and instinct line up. The
gnomes deep in the machinery have a very different view of the kingdom
than the one eyed king in his palace...


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: