Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Differentiated Thoughts on Choice

I woke up this morning with the memory of having dreamt of choice.  I lay there in bed for a while, in the darkness and warmth, listening to the sounds of morning and trying to make some sense of the dream. Ultimately I reached the conclusion that successful people make choices and unsuccessful people have choices made for them.

 

Let me state that again, since it is a two part supposition.

 

Successful people make choices.

 

Unsuccessful people have choices made for them.

 

Now, like any rule, it is hardly universal.  It is more of a rule of thumb about the power of choices, the power of making choices.  If you have the opportunity to make a choice - take it.  It generally turns out better then if someone else makes the choice for you. I suspect it is simply because it is a less complex solution.  It is Occam's Razor in action. Less variables to influence the outcome.

 

So, my choice this morning was to lie in bed until those undifferentiated thoughts about choice became differentiated.  Then to write down those differentiated thoughts. Then, I decide to eat oatmeal and wheat toast with sugar free orange marmalade. The latter might have been the better choice of the morning.

 

I hope you've chosen to have a good day.  If not, why, heck, just make the choice again.

 

No comments: