Friday, December 10, 2010

We've Come Seeking Clarity

Well, it has certainly been a while since I’ve written anything for the Floating World.  November was a busy month with about half of it spent on travel and the other half trying to get a full months worth of things done.  It flew by on falcon’s wings. Fortunately, here at work, we are slipping into the late December holiday season and one of the hallmarks of that is a tendency toward quiet days. 

As the year winds down there is a tipping point where people stop thinking about 2010 and start thinking about 2011 and so some things lose their urgency.  “It’ll wait” becomes a common refrain, or “let’s schedule that in January”.  Both are very good for those of us who spent a lot of time in customer service.  It’s a chance to relax and reflect, to take a deep breath, lift your head up and look around. 

I always appreciate this time of year precisely because it is a time of introspection and reflection.  I am not really sure what 2011 is going to bring me, but I am starting to contemplate it.  I’ll dedicate some time during the next couple of weeks to some serious introspection and review and then try and lay the foundations of 2011.  I’ve already been contemplating a New Year’s resolution and so far, the main thing that has appealed to me is a simple two prong statement:  “Be Active, Be Productive”.  I keep steering myself into a place of simplicity and those two simple statements reflect that movement. 

I am also feeling a need to focus inwardly instead of outwardly – and I mean seriously inwardly.  Lots of time for introspection, writing, reflection, and thoughtful review and analysis. T.R.’s constant encouragement to move toward a more simple lifestyle is very influential.  Each day it seems as if there is something that I can let slip away.  Yesterday’s necessity seems to become today’s clutter, and today’s clutter needs to go. 

I am not sure if I can find clarity, but I am looking for it.

 

No comments: