Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Sum of A Thursday Morning

Okay, it has been a couple of days since I have taken the time to write anything. Lately, during the work-week especially, I’ve felt hard pressed for time.  I’ve started to write, but they were turning into work venting, so I stopped and set it aside for a while.  I thought I would take a few minutes this morning as my day starts and I get ready to slide into the flow of Thursday meetings to write an entry.  This is going to ramble a bit, but that is okay, I am in sort of a rambling mood.

Work continues in the throes of chaos, bad management, and reorganization.  I’ve heard a few hopeful rumors, but so far, that has been about it.  It is starting to develop a sort of “Ground Hog Day” feeling.  I spend some time over the weekend doing some dedicated thinking to the problem and I think that, in the end, I need to simply fight my way out of the corner.  I am going to take advantage of the opportunity to push for organizational and process change to try and get some relief.  I started the process this week with two pushes and I’ve already received one polite brushback.  I generally don’t respond to polite brushbacks, especially when I have the right of it.

Personal life has been going fairly well.  Health is good, latest eye exam with imagery came out exceptionally well and actually made my day. As a Type II diabetic the potential for eye problems exists.  So I routinely visit an opthamologist for detailed examination, the theory being that diabetic retinapathy is treatable if it is caught early enough. 

At my my recent visit, a week or so ago, the doctor told me that I could safely fall back to a 2 year rotation on the visits, since my eyes were actually better then they were when I first came to him in 2009.  We looked through the scans and that was pretty cool.  I felt like high-fiving myself at the end of the exam.

My friends are dealing with a wide variety of personal challenges and turmoil, but that is sort of the nature of the beast.  As a cohort we are in an interesting time I think, on the threshhold of feeling our age and moving into the next phase. It is kind of interesting to see how all of my friends are dealing with aging.  Denial seems to be a favorite tactic.

My folks are actually in the process of applying for an apartment in town, which is definitely the move they need to make in my opinion.  They need to get closer to the wide variety of services and service providers that town offers. The whole process is going to have a few bumps, but that is to be expected.  There is a lot of self questioning that goes on as they go through the process and I try not to let that keep me up at night.

All in all, that is pretty much the sum of a Thursday morning.  Time to turn my focus back to work and see what I can accomplish.  Thursday is usually one of my meeting heavy days, so I am going to get a couple of hours of good work during the morning, and then settle in for the long slide through the meetings.

 

No comments: