Friday, May 9, 2014

Seven Years In Darkness

It is about 130 in the afternoon. I'm sitting in my office watching the clock tick down. On Monday we're going to be physically moving to another location, another building here on the company complex. I have my reservations about it but I am also looking forward to it.

We've been in our current work area going on seven years. I never really liked this area. The only thing it has going for it is there was a degree of privacy. Other than that, it was an ugly area, with bad ventilation, no natural light, and furniture as old as I am. I can't even begin to describe for you how hideous the carpet is.

I joke that the color palette here was mud, bird poop and mold. The entire building itself was not in much better condition. Naturally, I have my apprehensions, most of which resolve around privacy and group dynamics. Not a single one of them relates to the physicality of the work area.

The building we're moving into is also old and crappy, but at least our work area is remodeled and repainted. Our work furniture is probably only a decade or so old. The carpet is still hideous though!

However I'm going to try and approach the whole move with the Monty Python mentality. Specifically I am thinking of that epic song from the Life of Brian. "Life's a bowl of shit, when you look at it, so always look on the bright side of things!"

Truth be told, at the end of the day, I'm just damn glad to be getting out of this space. I'm looking forward to that first workday with a bit of natural light streaming into the work area. This area was a dark depressing interior dungeon. Fare thee well and good riddance.

No comments: