Friday, February 6, 2009

Other People's Coffee

I woke up this morning at about four a.m., after a solid six hours of uninterrupted sleep. I rolled out, ran through the shower, dressed and drove into work through a pounding California rain. At that hour of the day there is very little traffic so between the rain and the piano concerto on the classical radio station it was a beautiful morning. It was still dark when I arrived at the office. I crossed the parking lot with the sound of big rain drops popping on my hood.

It is Friday. The work week is drawing to a close. Today should be quiet here in the office which always provides a certain amount of thinking room, which I enjoy. I am certainly savoring the sensuality of the day - from the warm cocoon of my bed, laying there in the darkness listening to the rain falling on the roof, to the cascade of hot water in the shower, to the smell of a clean sweater, to the scent of rain filling the morning air.

Since it is an off Friday for a lot of my co-workers, it a quiet morning in the office area. The only sound I can hear is the HVAC and the clicking of my keyboard. The one analyst I have working today went off in search of morning coffee. Sometimes the best morning coffee is other people's coffee. Then you can focus on that simple enjoyment.

No comments: