Wednesday, March 31, 2010

When The Monkey Mind Steals The Moment

One of the things I have been trying to do, with greater and lesser degrees of success, has been to try and "stay in the moment" or "pull myself back into the moment" when I feel myself wandered out of the moment. The monkey mind is a pretty powerful thing and it has the ability to pull us a long way from here and to do it very subtly and very rapidly.

 

I had a nice and focused morning. Hot coffee, a fresh peach, oatmeal with brown sugar (okay, it was imaginary brown sugar sweetener), and a glass of V-8 juice, combined with a delightful morning conversation with T.R.. Then I started into work…

 

As I was driving into work this morning I was listening to my monkey mind chattering and I realized that I was in a conversation with someone (my old friend Ronnie S.) whom I had not talked to in several years. Ronnie and I grew up together and he was been a constant fried for a long time - we have periodically lost contact, but always resurface eventually. He currently lives in Minnesota with his wife and kids and I lost track of him about two years ago what "the project that ate my brain" was such a rough ride for me. 

 

The conversation in my monkey mind reminded me that I should give him a call - but, that wasn't the point of this entry.  The point was - that is the power of the mind to pull us from the current moment.  The current moment was driving down Lawrence Expressway, listening to a discussion on NPR about the Haitian relief efforts - and suddenly, there I was, having an imaginary conversation in Minnesota. Obviously, I still need some work on this whole "Stay in the moment" thing.  Let me go see if I can pull myself back into the moment with a cup of coffee.  Hope your day is enjoyable.

No comments: