Monday, January 17, 2011

Defaulting To The Dancing Mind

I probably should have included this is my earlier fragments, as it is something that was wandering through my imagination over the last week or so. I was thinking about the difficulty of “finding the moment” in the modern age. As I move though each day, I often find myself “somewhere other than the present”. I am thinking about past events. I am contemplating future events. I am thinking about past events that only happened in my imagination. I am contemplating future events that will only happen in my imagination.

When I catch myself doing thing I make the effort to “find the moment”, that is to pull myself back into the here and now. I am usually successful, but often only for a while. Then, suddenly, I become aware that I am somewhere else in my imagination as I walk down the hallway.

I find myself frequently contemplating the unreal. I may be imagining past events and imagining different outcomes or I may be anticipating future events and rehearsing for them. I may be mentally practicing the options, or trying to get my brains wrapped around future outcomes.

I definitely find myself defaulting to the dancing mind.

No comments: