Friday, January 21, 2011

Searching For A Theme

I continually find myself searching for a single theme as I write. I’m not really sure what drives the desire. I keep thinking that if I can focus down on a single theme or a single subject area, I will be more productive. I am not entirely sure that is true, but it is a thought that keeps revealing itself, which may indicate my subconscious thinks it’s true. It’s pretty rare that my subconscious steers me in the wrong direction.

The challenge is I have a lot of things that interest me. A lot of things that go on around me. A lot of things that I participate in. The substance of life swirls around us constantly, the substance of life and death and everything that lies in between and interwoven. We cannot help but be touched by it as it swirls by. What I am looking for is the ability to reach out and pull back gems. I am not sure I ever had that ability. If I had it, I am not sure that I ever lost it.

So, I still find myself searching for that single, unknown theme, that weaves it’s ways through the incidents and accidents of life.

No comments: