Sunday, January 2, 2011

Introducing Frank O'Hara

One of the things I decided to do this year was to focus on poetry. Yes, poetry in general, but also a specific poet - and for that poet I've chosen the sublime Frank O'Hara. I've got "The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara" edited by Donald Allen from The University of California Press(www.ucpress.edu).

What I am planning on doing is working my way through the collection in its entirety and carefully read, consider and contemplate O'Hara's work. I'd like to reach the end of the year with a deep understanding of his work. I consider O'Hara's poetry to possess a startling and all encompassing intimacy. He writes with an immediacy, with the ability to transport the reader into the world of the specific poem. I'm looking forward to it and I will share some of that journey here.

(Special thanks to my beloved T.R., who shares her passion for O'Hara, which in turn feeds my passion.)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: