Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Singing, Dancing, and Writing Alone

The internet is a huge place. I wouldn’t even know where to begin guessing how many words are out there. There are millions of people writing billions of words every single day. It is pretty impressive if you think about it. With all those billions of words, why add my own?

First, I think everyone has a story to tell. It is the story of their life, in whatever form they feel like telling it. There are as many ways to tell the story of your life as there are words being written on the internet. Those words are just tiny slivers of the vast tree of life that is continually growing, continually sprawling, continually expanding.

Second, I think serendipity plays a role. I know it has played a role as I have wandered the internet over the years. I’ve found, been referred to and stumbled over some excellent web sites, with words that have enriched my life. You never know if the story you are about to tell is the story that someone is just waiting to hear, that someone needs to hear. That is pretty dang cool if you ask me.

Third, like singing in the shower, writing without worrying whether or not someone is going to read it is actually very liberating. It makes your inner censor take a back seat. I sing in the shower, I dance alone and I often write things no one will ever read. I kind of like that.

Fourth, of course, when what you write connects with someone (T.R. and I powerfully connected through an expansive love of the written word), it’s an incredible feeling. You can’t beat it. You can only write about it.

No comments: