Monday, January 3, 2011

The Song of the First Monday

Well, today was the first Monday of the New Year. I joked with my sister today - only 51 more to go! It is strange but, if you break most things done to component parts (including time) then you become aware of the speed with which things pass, or the speed at which things are accomplished.

Work was a pretty typical Monday. A couple of meetings, a bit of work, enough to keep the day flowing smoothly but not so much as to overwhelm the day. I battled a bit of stress when some automated process went off on my computer this morning and it basically locked the computer up. I suspect it is a virus scan, but it could be any one of many things. It is sort of a constant thorn in my side on my work laptop, but I've worked with the desktop support people and they haven't been able to resolve it. The worst kind of errors in the computing world are intermittent errors. They can be a real bear to trouble-shoot and resolve. Other than that though, it was a good day.

I got home tonight, read a bit of Frank O'Hara, had an egg salad sandwich for dinner, then loaded "Highlander" into the Blu-Ray player. Highlander is the definitive Christopher Lambert movie and it has what I have considered to be the second greatest soundtrack - in the case of Highlander, a full set of incredible songs by Queen. (The greatest movie soundtrack ever, in my opinion, is Walter Hill's "Streets of Fire".) But, as for Highlander - Immortals, with Swords and Sean Connery in a supporting role. How can you possibly go wrong!

My bit of Frank O'Hara today was "Gamin". For your reading enjoyment:

All the roofs are wet
and underneath smoke
that piles softly in
streets, tongues are
on top of each other
mulling over the night.

We lay against each other
like banks of violet
while the slate slips
off the roof into the
garden of the old lady
next door. She is my

enemy. She hates cats
airplanes and myself
as if we were memories
of war. Bah! When you
are close I thumb my
nose at her and laugh.

No comments: