Friday, June 10, 2011

Sliding Into Friday

Today was definitely a far better day than yesterday. (And that reminds me of the song "The Worst Day Since Yesterday" by Flogging Molly.) Because most of the company is on the 9/80 shift, and of them, most of them are on the opposite shift of me most of the time when I work on Friday's it is very quiet because most of my customers are out for the day.

Today was no different - while working on a variety of projects through the day, I sent out about a half a dozen emails to customers. All but one gave me an out of office bounce back, which is fairly typical. It means that, for one day every two weeks, I have the chance to work mostly uninterrupted and to play that old game of catch-up. I took advantage of it today and made good progress.

I had a nice long lunch at Chili's (some chicken dish, I forget the name of it), and then met Tony for dinner at Holders in Saratoga, where I had the excellent chili-bean omelet and wheat toast. From there, it was home, where I've come inside, pulled the blinds (the living room faces to the west, so the summer sun can be quite hot), fired up the AC and have settled in for a very quiet evening of reading, writing, watching the DVR, and sliding as seamlessly into the weekend as I can.

T.R. was teasing me the other day that I was already in countdown to vacation and there is no doubt about that - I've got four days of work left, then I have a day off, and from there its a early morning flight back into the heartland of South Dakota and the Rosebud for a week long visit with friends and family. I'm looking forward to the trip, but the vacation aspect of it and the family visit aspect of it. I'm looking forward to a succession of lazy days watching satellite TV, reading, and visiting with family.

Then, it's back to CA for three weeks, and then I will start a two week long vacation. In the middle of the vacation I'll go down to San Diego for Comic Con - the trip I look forward to every year, the trip that allows me to embrace my inner geek. So, summer is going to slide on by, gently and easy, full of silences and grace and good things. (And hopefully, from my lips to God's ears.)

As a consequence of the day I am sliding into this wonderful weekend in just the right mood - tired, but bright, looking forward to the chance to just relax, read, write and watch some DVR. On Saturday I am getting together with friends in the afternoon and on Sunday, we've talking about slipping out to see "Super 8". It should be a good weekend, all in all.

No comments: