Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Work

Things at work have not been good.  This project that I am currently working on is insane and I place the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of upper management, who have been flat out incompetent in my opinion. We're working on an upgrade/reset to several of our key systems and it is entirely amateur hour. We have a standard engineering process for a reason and the people whose job it should be to insure that we are following that process are the ones responsible for completely ignoring the process.  I am working on a particular portion of the development and I have a configuration deadline of July 2nd (Monday of next week). And yet, for the previous week, up to and including today, I have gotten new requirements every single day.  Well, I am going to do the best I can and get the main part of the configuration over to the vendor by COB Monday night, but I can tell you it is going to be inaccurate and invalid and is going to have to be re-worked. The main battle I am facing is the internal one - the difficultly I encounter when I see the train wreck coming and I try to head it off - but not one is listening. I keep hoping that the adults will show up at some point and reign the renegade children in, but I am afraid that is probably not likely to happen.  So, at this point, I am simply hoping that I don't get caught in the blast zone when everything goes up.  Like I said - incompetent leadership and pure amateur hour.  I was telling a friend of mine that I find myself in the unusual position of feeling a need to quit, not because I am overloaded (I am, like everyone else), but because the work product we are turning out is so far below any reasonable professional standard that I don't want to be associated with it. On the other hand, this job has been good to me more than less over the last thirteen years - and it has only be the last two years under this totally idiotic director that I have spent so much time wondering how someone that incompetent rises to a position of power in a major corporation.  Either it is the Peter Principle in action, or they are secretly related to someone that I know nothing about.  Total FUBAR.

No comments: