Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Complicated Thanksgiving

I slept well last night and lingered in bed this morning until about 7:30 AM, which is late for me.  Had breakfast with Tony over at Goodies II on Bascom, then took a meandering walk and stopped for a cup of coffee, a cupcake and a banana.  From there, I went and saw "Silver Linings Playbook" which is an excellent movie.  A great cast, a sweet, funny, and well-told story layered under the acting (Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Tucker, Robert DeNiro) just made it a truly enjoyable film. It comes highly recommended from me.



A lazy afternoon followed, marked by family calls and texts, then a simple Thanksgiving dinner at Marie Calendars with Don and Tony.  Excellent food, good conversation.  From there,  home and into the evening.  A spot of bad news when I got home, one of my nephews has landed in the hospital in another state, apparent in the emergency room. Since he is largely estranged from the rest of the family, I am pretty much the only family member he talks to (though he does have friends there where he lives).  It was one of his friends who got a hold of me.  I don't really have any information at this point.  I  had called the hospital but when they rang me through, I simply got dial tone and no answer.  I will try again shortly.

His friends have relayed that one of them who lives close by is going to go see him, and I passed my number on to them, so hopefully I can hear something.  I know that he has had health problems for the last year or so, in part due to lifestyle choices he made.  They have landed him in the emergency room several times over the last couple of months.  I will keep him close in my thoughts and prayers until I hear more.  Not much else I can do from half a world away.

So, I would guess that, if I had to characterize this Thanksgiving, I would characterize it as complicated.  I think that would be a characterization of life around me of late - simply complicated. I hope your Thanksgiving is good, whoever you are and wherever you are.

No comments: