Monday, January 13, 2014

I Work, I Dream

I woke up early this morning and spent the first hour or so sitting in front of my laptop reading material for a 7:30 AM meeting.  Now, normally, when I get up in the morning one of the things I do first is turn on my work Blackberry so I can check my calendar for the coming day - see what sort of schedule changes took place over the weekend.  Today, I didn’t.  So, I invest the time in preparing for the meeting, I commute to work, I log into my computer, I set about getting ready for the meeting and then, glancing at my email I notice the meeting have moved to later in the day.

Ah, so it goes.

Last night I dreamed extensively about moving.  I wasn’t moving, someone I knew was moving.  They were moving out of a fairly nice second story condo and they had a lot of possessions.  I was mentally calculating the amount of energy getting everything into the truck was going to take - up and down the stairs with multiple unwieldy items of furniture and decoration - when I walked into the living room and noticed a bookcase on one wall.  Wall to wall.  Floor to vaulted ceiling.

Thousands of books.  As a book lover myself and as a guy who has, at times, moved a lot of books - I knew that you were looking at an entire day, if not more, of simply boxing the books.  Hundreds of boxes.  The size and scop of the move had me daunted and, through the early hours of the morning I woke up several times thinking about it.  Each time I kept telling myself - it’s not real - it’s a dream.  It didn’t seem to work, so I came into the office this morning thinking about the symbolism of dreaming about moving.

According to http://www.edreaminterpretation.com/moving/ “If you dream of moving in or out of a house, important changes are about to take place in your life”.  What a library signifies is a bit more rambling in the dream dictionaries online, but most agree that it has some relationship to knowledge and the subconscious.  The library in my dream was well organized and well cared for and my task, in the dream, was moving it to a new location, so I will have to meditate on that and see if I can find some sort of meaning there.  The dream was strong enough that it was persistent and that I stayed with it through several sleep cycles.

 

No comments: