Friday, February 14, 2014

Mysterious Balances

It was good day.  Sometimes, I think that is enough of an entry, but alas, I can be long winded. It was my work Friday, so I woke up, texted TR (who is traveling), then splashed through the shower.  A simple breakfast of oatmeal, toast and coffee, then into the office.  I spent most of the day reading email that I was behind on and getting my mind around the next big phase of the project I am working on. It is going to be a fun challenge. 

Oh, and last night...well. I got home, I made dinner, I ate dinner, I nearly fell asleep in my chair - so I got up and hit the bed about five thirty p.m. to see if a short nape would take the edge off.  I napped until about eight, woke up just long enough to turn the lights off and make sure the apartment was locked up, and then went straight back to sleep. I slept through until about 1:30 a.m., when I woke, read a bit in the new biography of Doc Holliday, and then promptly went back to sleep.  All told I slept about eleven hours.  I blame it on the fact that twice this week I was working by four a.m..  I think that all simply caught up with me.

So, let me throw another curve ball and go back to work. I had my performance review and merit increase discussion - it went well and I think both were a better reflection of the quality of my work then the last couple of years, so that was a relief.  I was all ready to do some serious battle with, but it turned out to be necessary. The only difficult part of the review was fairly simple too.  My boss thinks (correctly) that I am too helpful to other groups and often end up spending time solving problems that really are not mine to solve (not in my portfolio).  I agree and I am working on getting better at resisting the temptation a problem brings for me.

It has been a quite week. I've been missing TR and I am looking forward to her return next week.  That has been the only melancholy part of my week.  Life is a strange adventure and it is filled with all kinds of mysterious balances. I may have to explore that thought a little later.

No comments: