Wednesday, February 12, 2014

So, I Was Thinking...

It is always better to be honest, with others and with yourself.  As you go through life you will come under tremendous pressure to be less than honest.  This pressure will range everywhere from the very simple and subtle to the large and complex.  I have this to say - it is always better to be honest than dishonest, even in the simplest things and especially with yourself.  You may feel, at times, compelled to be dishonest with others.  There are often very good reasons.  But, that is a line you should never cross with yourself.

The week is passing by - my thoughts, as above, are turned toward honesty and karma.  I've had an interesting week at work and work has spilled over pretty deeply into my personal life, sucking most of it up for the last couple of days.  I am working a big project at work and I found myself in the unusual position that the whole project is much larger than they (the team driving the change) are aware.  I don't think they have really though it through well.  It involves the implementation of a disruptive technology - which is always fun and risky - but, in this case, I don't think they have realized just how disruptive the potential is.  And with disruption comes risk.  And we are a very risk averse organization (rightfully so).

Last week, I was trying to drill home to my management the size and scope of the project they were undertaking and to a degree, I don't think they were really listening.  I kicked up enough of a storm that we ended up having a meeting about it on Tuesday, and in that meeting I swear I could literally hear peoples eyes popping open - most importantly, I think it was an eye opener for the key management people.  We've got a lot of work ahead of it, but I think we are moving into the point where we are getting the visibility we need.  And when I say we've got a lot of work ahead of us, I mean I have a lot of work ahead of  me.  But, I really like the technology, so it is going to be fun.

On the personal side, TR is on a personal trip with family, so I am missing her and looking forward to her return. My friend Tony is still playing the Game of Thrones at work and is doing a very good Ned Stark imitation. "In the Game of Thrones, you win or you die." - Cersei Lannister.  I hope he comes through it okay.  My nephew Tom has battled through another set of health issues, so he is in my thoughts and prayers.  The folks (Mom and Bill) are doing well in the Golden Prairie Manor in Winner, moving through that wonderful South Dakota winter where 18 degrees is a warm day.

No comments: