Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Tiger Behind A Rock

I write because it brings me great joy. I love the craft of it, I love the dance of words that create life from simple pen and paper. Since I was young I have loved stories - I love to hear stories, I love to tell stories. Writing is simply an extension of that.  We are, I think, by our very nature, story tellers. The story that we narrate is the tale of our existence, individually and collectively. Storytelling is hardwired into us, it is a genetic trait that was born of the simple need to survive. Some variant of "there is a tiger behind that rock" was probably the first story ever told. I write because I have to write and I am fortunate that it brings me great joy. Because I have written so much, for so long, I struggle to imagine a time when I did not write, but even in that time, I told stories. I write to tell stories. I write because it brings me joy. I write because I must.

No comments: