Monday, June 7, 2010

Where Monkeys Run Amok

I’ve often commented that the inside of the mind is a pretty amazing place – there are all kinds of crazy monkeys jumping around in there and if they get half a chance they will take it over.  I went on an amusing trip into my monkey mind on the drive into work this morning and I thought I would share it with you.

It was pretty much an ordinary morning and the commute was normal.  I was running a little bit late so the traffic was heavier than usual, especially at the intersection of Williams, Moorpark and Lawrence Expressway, but I have seen worse, especially there.  I get through the intersection on onto Lawrence Expressway and it shifts into a very ordinary commute.  Then, as I drove down the road and listened to the Corrs, my brain went like this.

My nephew is waiting from his income tax return check. Since he lives in a shared housing in an apartment where he doesn’t entirely trust the neighbors he used my address.  Soon enough the check will be overdue (if such a thing is possible with the IRS, who tends to move at their own pace) so he has been anxiously awaiting its arrival. I was thinking about that and it made me wonder if he had filed his taxes for the last year (he didn’t work much, his income was minimal, and his dad has a track record of not filing his income taxes). Then, I imagined that he hadn’t filed in the previous year(s) so old Uncle Sam had pounced on this filing and grabbed the return to pay previous tax bills.  Then, I imagined that they now had MY address as his last location and in a frenzy to collect revenue the IRS, in coordination with the Sheriff’s department, swooped down on my apartment to seize property to pay delinquent taxes. In the course of seizing MY property to pay my nephews tax bill, they DROPPED my big screen TV.  I was ticked off about it! 

And of course, it was all imaginary – it was just a place my brain went as I was driving into work but – I could feel myself getting agitated at their lack of respect for my property.  Once again, the brain is a strange amazing place.  Where monkeys run amok.

 

No comments: