Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Week Later - Time Flies

It was a sudden week. When I glanced at my blog I realized that it had been seven days since I wrote. There were a couple of reasons for that – I went up to Wondercon in San Francisco with friends for a three day weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), and then worked pretty intensively over the last three days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday).

My manager is currently out of the office, so I caught about a 30% workload increase. Most of it has manifested as doing my “normal” work during the day, then spending a couple of hours each evening plowing through email. My managers principle job is communication and program direction, so I’ve been lucky there – it is sufficiently different from what I do (analysis, design and support) that there really isn’t an overlap.

Last night was the first real night where I had sufficient time to do incidental things around the apartment – which turned out to mainly be scrubbing the stove top and over. I happen to like the Zen simplicity of cleaning.

Today is effectively my Friday (tomorrow is my regularly scheduled day off). I am planning on easing through the day, maybe with some additional house work, laundry, and then a matinee movie. I have to admit, I want to see “Your Highness”, the fantasy spoof. It looks like it will be amusing. I could be wrong though. That is the challenge of movies – you just never quite know what you’re getting into.

I am currently listening to a generic teleconference at work and I have it on mute. It is one of those “listen only” teleconferences that permeate the working world. The first presenter blazed through her presentation, almost as if she was speaking as fast as she possible could. It was very amusing, in an unintentional sort of way.

I guess I really don’t have anything focused to say in this particular entry, other than to mention a phrase that has been bouncing around in my brain for the last couple of days – the phrase is “provisional brilliance”. I am not really sure what it means, so I am going to keep mulling it around for a while and see what pops out.

No comments: