Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday's End Game

It is nice to have reached the end of the week.  Maybe I need to find a job where I only work three days a week.  That would certainly be nice.  Actually, one of the things I have contemplated is similar to that concept.  If I would make my present pay rate - only reduce the hours to a level where I was still living comfortably, it would be nice to do.  Make two-thirds of my current income, but only work two-thirds of the time as well.  A lucrative part-time job.  Of course, I realize that is probably the dream of many people.
It’s been fairly quiet here at work, in part because it is off Friday for most of the employees and in part because a lot of people are still out on vacation from the holiday.  There was enough work today to keep me steadily engaged through the day and allow time for lunch and “thinking time” in regards to the various work items that arose.
I’ve changed the background screen on my work computers to a classic Zen Enso (an brush style painting of an open ended circle) to help me maintain my zen through the coming year. I’ve also implemented what I call a “balance point”, that is a point or two during the day where I stop working and focus on something else, even if it is only for a few minutes.  This is being written in one of those balance points.
I am looking forward to the weekend, though I don’t have anything planned.  I am hoping to get down to the Tech Museum to see the last two days of a Mythbusters exhibit that I keep meaning to go to but never quite make.  However, I think it is supposed to be a rainy weekend, so that would make it perfect for that little trip - if I feel up to it. 
I’d also like to get out and do some playing with my camera, to begin the process of skill building there.  It is the first time I’ve owned a Nikon and the design/configuration switches, buttons and menus all Greek to me.  The first set of photographs I took with it had no keepers. I took a second set the day before yesterday and some of them turned out very nice, so it is just a matter of time before I gain some level of mastery over the new tool.
Since this is nearing the end of the work week, I am going to count this as a good week, all in all.  Work was brisk but not overwhelming and I managed to keep a good focus and my Zen cool, so I will consider that a win.  I am still in the process of thinking about the year that just passed, so I imagine I am going to do some dedicated meditation and contemplation in that direction during the weekend.  I will also focus some of that discipline toward the coming year and tease out some variations on my resolutions. I am trying to harness that incremental power, where you do just a little bit at a time, take a few steps at a time, and then as time passes come to realize that you’ve made significant strides toward your new goals, whatever they are. I am in the specific goal generating phase right now, since I’ve already set the main goals.

No comments: