Sunday, August 17, 2008

Returning

Sunday is winding to a close. The sun is sliding over the horizon with a golden glow. It was a good weekend all in all.  It held some twists and some complications, but was basically straight-forward and restful. I spent most of the weekend nursing my shoulder and it seems to have helped a lot. 

The acid test will be after the first full day of work, which will fall on Monday.  If I need to, I will switch to working virtually so I can lay down when I need to comfortably, but I suspect that if I am watchful, make sure I keep stretching the shoulder out and pop the occassional Advil, I should be good.

I did not do much this weekend.  I spent time in chat, I spent a lot of time reading, and I had a few good meals.  My plan is to go to sleep early tonight, get a full night of sleep, and then slide into the morning.  I had a lot of fun in chat on Sunday morning, laughed so hard that my sides hurt - the crowd was good, the mood was good, and the humor was flowing and funny. I always like chat when it turns like that. Chat can be like having a lot of great and funny people visiting your living room in the early morning.

Life twisted and turned over the weekend and I am not entirely sure right now what I think of it, but what I do think of it is this.  I had written before about allowing people the dignity of their journey - even when that journey is taking them in a direction that you might not want them to go.

So, after the twists and turns of this weekend, I ultimately hold true to that. I may have wished for a different outcome, but when you know the person making a decision, and you know the reasons they are making the decision, all you can do is support it.  So, that being what it was, I will continue forward. I won't lie, I am sure I will have my wistful moments, and I am sure there will be moments and days when I miss them, but that is all part of being human. Love and respect the other people in your life and support them in the decisions they make.  That is almost the definition of friendship in my book.

I am hoping to write more this week - I laid off the writing for a while well my shoulder was being nursed - I did a lot of readying - I reread two books (Lamb by Christopher Moore and Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank) and made a lot of headway in "The Dragon Never Sleeps" by Glen Cook. (I had posted an excerpt from the book a little earlier).  The Dragon Never Sleeps isone of those epic Science Fiction novels with multiple plot threads running simultaneously, so it took a while to get them aligned and running - but they are running now and the characters are starting to take hold.  If the book continues at the quality it has reached, then I would definitely recommend it as a good Sci-Fi read.

Work stress has been creeping up as the tail of The Project That Almost Broke Me continues to thrash around.  It has thrashed itself close to exhaustion a couple of times and then always seems to regain the energy to thrash some more.  It is frustrating, but from a philosophical position - it simple is what it is.  If I stay tight, stay focused, it will eventually thrash itself out. The trick is to not get thrashed around to badly. On the heels of my vacation I am better equipped to deal with it, not being as close to total burnout as I was back in June.

Finally, to my friends in Florida, you are in my thoughts, and I hope the storm slips over you without too much damage and dislocation.  As several of you has said - it's the price of living in Paradise.

No comments: