Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chaotic Savoring

The end of the working day is approaching. It's been a bit of an exercise in controlled chaos today. I had crafted the plan for the day around a pair of morning meetings. But, one was cancelled and the other moved into the afternoon, so I ended up doing the things I had planned to do in the afternoon in the morning and the things I had planned to do in the afternoon in the morning.

Then, I got pulled into a pair of unexpected meetings, in between which I weaved the fabric of lunch (excellent enchilada suizas at Mexicali Grill), made it back for my last meeting, and then managed to weave something productive out of the remaining fabric of the day.

Now, I am on the long slide into the evening. It has been an absolutely beautiful early fall day here. In the complexity of the weave of the day, I managed to spend some time sitting outside the building, on a bench, between two maple trees watching a solitary honey bee weave its way in and out of late blooming flowers.

I am looking forward to the evening. I am looking forward to getting home, opening the patio doors wide, grilling a rib-eye steak, tossing together a simple salad, and savoring what remains of this day. I guess, in the sum of it, as the afternoon winds down, it was a day for savoring. Chaotic savoring, but savoring none the less.

No comments: