Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Rare Day Off

I am pretty good about taking vacation. I try and take three or four weeks a year and only carry a minimal vacation balance at work, but I usually take one or two weeks at a time. I often struggle to take just a simple day here or there. I always encourage the people who work for me to take a spontaneous day off. I tell them "if you have the vacation time and you wake up one morning and don't feel like working, just take the day - that is what vacation is for". But it is something that I struggle with.

I woke up on Monday and seriously considered taking the day off, then for a variety of reasons (or mental excuses), I ended up going into the office. Almost immediately after doing it though, I regretted it. It was pretty much just an ordinary day at the office and I could have very easily taken it off. So, I resolved then and there to take a day off this week and glancing at my calendar, I landed on Wednesday. My meeting schedule was mostly routine and I had no pressing tasks that I couldn't finish on Thursday. So, I blocked the time out, send the relevant email, and here I am.

I started the day by sleeping in about an hour and a half, then met Tony for breakfast over at Goodie's II in Campbell for their excellent Heuvos Mexicanas. From there, I made a quick stop and the grocery store and then circled back home. My plan today, if it can be considered a plan, is to simply relax and ease my way through the day. I'm going to alternate between DVD watching, reading, and getting the spare bedroom set up as an office. It is a rare day off for me and I intend to savor it.

No comments: