Tuesday, September 6, 2011

In the Land of the Blind

I often read with amusement the political diatribes that flow across the vastness of the internet. From the standpoint of a "slightly-to-the-right-of-center" person who has at one time voted for candidates from both parties, I’d like to comment on two things that tend to rise in my mind as I read.

First, we paint the "Other" with a demon's mask so we can destroy them with a clear conscience. I often think of that when I see scorched earth rhetoric that both sides routinely display. It is not enough that our opponents be wrong, it appears necessary that they must be evil as well. I picture two cartoon characters with sharp sticks passionately engaged in alternating bouts of eye-poking. If you would like to play an affirmative and compassionate role in the vast drama of politics, I would be willing to suggest the first step is to stop, take a deep breath, and acknowledge the basic humanity of people who hold belief's or belief systems other than yours.

Second, once you've acknowledged the basic humanity of the opposition, take the time to try and understand what they actually believe. What is the adage? Seek first to understand, then to be understood? A long time ago, when I was in college, I had a professor who taught me a very simple and powerful thing in the search for knowledge. "You should be able to argue with equal passion and conviction those things you do not believe in as you can those things you do believe in." If you are astounded by the things the "Other" believes, it is not because they believe astounding things, but because you have an imperfect understanding of what they believe. No one ever sees themselves as the villain of the play. In their own hearts, everyone is a hero, staunchly defending their deeply held convictions.

It seems to me that both sides have taken sticks, sharpened them to fine points, wrote the word "truth" on the side of the stick, and are now vigorously eye-poking to their hearts content. When you look down at your hand, what do you see? An open hand of friendship and compassion extended to "the other"? Or a sharp stick? Then, you can ask yourself a simple question - which would you rather be doing? (I don't doubt for a moment that some really want the sharp stick - so I have my safety goggles on and I am prepared to be King in the Land of the Blind).

No comments: