Friday, September 30, 2011

Vexed By Denial

I like the word vexed. I am not sure why, but it has a great ring to it. To me, it designates a certain kind of above average irritation. For the last two days I have been vexed.

I've been vexed by denial. I have a customer at another site who has a computer configuration problem that can only be addressed by there local desktop support. The application throws a very specific error that says "this aspect is not configured for this action, change the configuration". (That is not the actual error message, but rather the meaning of it.) The first desktop analyst correctly identified the problem, but could not fix it. Then, the next point of escalation denied there was an error - and that is where we sit.

Vexed at the door of denial I am resisting the temptation to kick it in, and then go raging about and head butt random people. Fortunately, though vexed, I am more amused by it than anything else. There is one simple action the desktop analyst could take which would fix the problem, but that would first involve him accepting that there is a problem that is within his area of responsibility.

It is right there that he is poised, firmly leaning into the door of denial, keeping it tightly closed. I never really got the point of it, but part of what has me amused is I know that desktop and user support is one of the most difficult jobs in the computer world - it is pretty stressful and thankless. So, I will keep moving forward with as delicate touch as I can muster. Until it becomes time...to...crush.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: