Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Am Sure It Made Sense At The Time

I am struggling to get going this morning.  I slept well last night. I woke rested and had a pretty ordinary morning. Here at the office I’ve managed to make it through my email and voicemail and start getting the day sorted out for the work I need to do, but I am struggling there. I need to just line things up and get moving, but for reasons known only to the universe that seems pretty difficult today.  Maybe I need to take a walk or something to get some creative and productive juices flowing.

I was reading Gaiman’s new novel again last night and I dreamed in visuals from the book.  That is pretty impressive. I think that it’s a sign of a good writer when the story they are telling you is able to get inside of you, to move around in both your conscious and subconscious, when the writer has the ability to make you think about it when you are awake and dream about it when you are asleep. Gaiman is definitely one of those writers.

I was doing a physical inventory in my apartment last night and, once again, I have come to the conclusion that I have way too much stuff.  It is weird - I cut the stuff out, I drastically reduce it, I only keep the stuff that I think I am going to use and a handful of things that are significant to me and then, at the end of a couple of months, that remaining stuff becomes, once again, too much stuff.  I keep joking that eventually I am going to end up in a place where I have next to nothing left; just me, my bathrobe, a blue bowl and my big screen TV.  Because, let’s face it, my TV is going to be the last thing to go!

It does tend to be the peripheral things that I want to get rid of; too much of this, too many of that, this thing that is scarcely used, that thing that seems to just take up space.  All of them seem to develop a weight of their own and then that weight gets heavier and heavier.  Then, when I donate the stuff or throw it away I just feel lighter again. I’ve only got a limited amount of stuff in my closet - I am down to 12 boxes.  But, once again, here is the simple truth - I have been in maybe one or two of the boxes in the last couple of months.  I need to review them and get rid of them once again.  Ideally, I shouldn’t even look in them - I should just get rid of them.  But, I do realize that there may be something in those boxes that I intended to keep for a reason.  Though, right here, right now, I can’t really think of what that reason is.  I am sure it made sense at the time.

 

 

No comments: