Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Fragmentary Serpent

Incidental Incidents

I went out tonight to have dinner with a friend of mine.  He was running late (he was in the parking lot talking to his mechanic, who was delivering the news that to fix his car was going to run about sixteen hundred bucks), so I was sitting inside, drinking a lemonade, and the following fragment popped into my mind and I scribbled it on a napkin.

All The Pretty Serpents

See all the pretty serpents
Lying in the grass
See all their pretty eyes
Watching as you pass

Nothing can touch you
When you're dancing like this
When you're floating on the wind
They only strike to miss

The arrow flies true from the bow
The lance strikes straight to the bone

That was as far as I got before my friend joined me, so I folded the napkin I was writing on and stuck it in my pocket, and enjoyed a good dinner and some good conversation.  As I got up to leave the lady a few booths over stopped me as I walked by.  She had seen me writing on the napkin and was curious as to what I had wrote. I showed her.  She liked it.

I will keep working on the fragment over the next couple of days and share the iterations and hopefully final product with you all later. I enjoy the creative process.

Other than that it was another challenging and long day at work as we move through user acceptance testing - a little saner than Tuesday - but still with its tensions and stressors and tensors.  Never forget the tensors, they're everywhere.

Pleasantly filled from dinner I came home and took a quick three mile walk in a big rambling loop through the neighbors, then home, a bit of AOL, and soon off to bed.

No comments: