Friday, May 23, 2008

A Nearly Perfect Day Of Doing Nothing

I did something rare for me today.  I slept late.  I woke up at about eight AM, rolled over, went back to sleep and woke up about ten AM.  I am, by nature, a morning person.  I usually wake an hour or two before sunrise, naturally, comfortably, clearly.  I roll out of bed and start that morning pot of coffee and move into the day.

But today I slept late.  I need it.  The work cycle and work stress have both been running high.  This four day weekend has been the first extended time off I have had in quite a while.  Consequently, today, I did next to nothing.

I woke up.  I ran through the shower.  I started the stereo.  I cooked breakfast.  I danced around the living room while the bacon sizzled.  I ate breakfast and channel surfed TV.  I read a little.  I came online and surfed the net.  I chatted in Spiritual Insights.  I pretty much repeated small variations of that pattern through the day. 

In the evening, I went out and got dinner with my nephew Tom and my friend Tony, at Holdens on Saratoga.  I stopped at the grocery store and picked up some snacks.  I wandered home. My nephew is watching Eddie Izzard on HBO.  The apartment is filled with the sounds of children playing in the courtyard.  The sun is falling toward the horizon. 

I have no plans for the evening.  I will be still.  I will chat.  I will surf the web.  I may write.  I may play my guitar.  I may call a friend.  I may watch a movie.  I may read.  At some point, I will sleep.

In short is a nearly perfect day of doing next to nothing.  I love it.

No comments: