Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Simple Saturday Morning

A Simple Saturday Morning

Friday night was...hot.  I went to sleep with all the windows open and the fans blowing to keep the air circulating, but it was a hot and restless night, mostly spent tossing and turning and waking up every couple of hours.  When it is hot the street theatre is generally in full performance mode and last night was no exception.  I live in a neighborhood that is mostly apartment complexes.  Most of the apartments do not have air conditioning, so when the heat creeps up people, like me, tend to sleep with the windows wide open and tend to spend the late evening hours on the patios and balconies and courtyards.  Kids playing, folks returning from parties and clubs, impromptu sport games, fights - they all occupy the streets at night.  Street theatre at its finest.

I woke a little after six AM, brewed a pot of coffee, came online and sent some e-mail and chatted in my favorite chat room for a while.  Then, my nephew T. and I headed across town and picked up my friends P. and H. and we went to SuperCon at the San Jose Convention Center.  SuperCon is a small comic book and pop culture convention.  I had an ulterior motive - I was looking for a specific Mattel Micro Machine to round out my Battlestar Galactica ship collection - and I found it.  I have added "Colonial One", the President's ship.  The President (Laura Roslyn) is portrayed by Mary McDonnell.  If you are not watching this, the final season, of Battlestar Galactica, you are missing some of the best TV of the decade.

After spending a couple of hours wandering around the convention, we headed over to the Fish Market for a light lunch. 

I had a piece of mesquite grilled rainbow trout, au gratin potatoes, and fishwife rice, with a cup of New England style clam chowder.  P. had the mixed Fish and Chips (Fish, Scallops, Shrimp).  H. had the monkfish, potatoes au gratin and steamed vegetables.  T. had a crab salad sandwich and fries.  It was excellent, all in all.  From there, I headed home, and having headed home - I find myself here.  Writing this entry.  In this moment.  And now, I'm not.

No comments: