Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thoughts on a Gentle Day

When I am writing, I often plumb my memory of the immediate for a hook, something to start the writing process. It usually tends to be a sense memory and from there - a topic often unfolds. Other times is flows out a specific event - either a peak event or a valley event - a good moment or a bad moment.

So, I was sitting here, taking a break from work, thinking about writing a journal entry and I ran through my sense memories of the day. Nothing really stood out. It has also been a day without a real peak or valley moment - nothing extraordinarily good or bad…

And the moment I wrote that last sentence I realized there was a peak moment. It was a gentle peak. Very early this morning while I was in the shower someone dear to me called and left me a voice mail.

It was a simple voice mail, gracious and humorous and sensual, all wrapped in a few short sentences. It made me smile, made me laugh, and gave me a bit of a thrill. I have noticed even as I sit here recalling it that the corner of my mouth has curled in a smile.

All in all it has been a gentle day. It is wonderful to say that. I subscribe to an email list that sends out daily quotes and small articles of a spiritual nature. It is non-secular, no particular religion or bend, just a collection of quotes. There is almost always something inside of there that I enjoy.

Today, it was a quote from Sophocles.

"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life. That word is love."

That is a perfect quote for a gentle day. The other day in my journal I had written a poem about small gods. I also love the small god of gentle days like today.

No comments: