Monday, September 17, 2012

My Laptop Is Possessed

Well, it's pretty much been a wasted morning here at work, at least as far as productivity goes. I started the day early enough - at 4:30 AM when I woke from a dream about work. In the dream I was venting to HR about the conditions at work and realizing that it was all kind of pointless.
I had a simple breakfast - a bowl of cereal and a whole wheat muffin with cream cheese, and then headed into the office. I had every intention of leaping into my tasks but I ran right into a technical wall. We use encryption software to protect our companies information in the event of a lost or stolen laptop.

After I logged in I noticed my laptop was lagging and not behaving correctly. I tried doing some work but all I managed to do was frustrate myself badly - about half my applications wouldn't open and when they did open I had a difficult time working within them. Activities were slow and unpredictable and the applications kept locking up. Twice I lost work, which is very irritating. I fired up my system monitors and discovered the encryption process was using up about seventy five percent of my processing power.

It was very frustrating, then I realized what I needed to do was step back, take a deep breath, and let the system do what the system was going to do. Which I did. I then watched about three and a half hours of the day slip away. I was able to do small things - work email, return calls, but any time I tried to do anything significant the computer would go wonky. It appears the bulk of the processing finished up a few minutes ago, but I still can't reboot and half my applications don't work.

Since I am going to take lunch in about twenty minutes, quite frankly, I've pretty much written the morning off as far as productivity goes. I will circle back around after lunch and attempt to tackle the one task I want to get finished today. One simple thing.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: