Friday, September 26, 2008

An Elvis Costello Day

As I was driving over to Holden's in Saratoga to meet friends for dinner, I was contemplating a journal entry today.  I was trying to think of how to sum up the day. Inspired by the CD that was playing, I decided that it was very much an Elvis Costello day.  Simple, whimsical, but with layers of complexity.

I slept in and then, on waking, lingered over a novel. (I am still reading the "Machiavelli Covenant", I have been enjoying it so much that I am forcing myself to read it two or three chapters at a time to make it last.  That is a the sign of a good book.)  I cooked a cheese omelet for breakfast, washed into down with white grapefruit juice and coffee.  I fired up the stereo and then spent most of the day either playing on the computer, watching movies, reading, and listening to the stereo. I went out and took a rambling walk.  Late in the afternoon I took a long, slow, relaxing hot bath.  Then the dinner I mentioned above.

About midway through the afternoon I was listening to internet radio and a song came on that I have not heard in a long time - Jackson Browne, Tender is the Night. I had to get up and dance around the living room in the golden sunlight. There was a lot of purity in that moment.  Shortly thereafter I heard from a dear friend of mine that I had been worrying about, so that was a good touch point.  All in all it was simply a great day.

I am going to go out for another walk here shortly, probably a quick two and a half miles - about fifty minutes or so. Tomorrow's plan is to go to the Rennaissance Faire down at Casa De Fruta and the weather is supposed to be very good, so I am definitely looking forward to that.  I just happened to glance at the wall and there is a great big wood spider making his way toward the ceiling line.  I am keeping a wary eye on him, but essentially leaving him alone.  Though wood spiders do not bite, having one fall on you unexpectedly would cause a thrill!

No comments: