Saturday, March 5, 2011

Electra Glide In Blue


I woke up this morning as I usually do, in the still hours before dawn. The eastern sky was just starting to turn to a pale shade of blue. Spring is not here yet, but I can feel it approaching. I love the sound of birds singing in the early hours of the morning, thought they haven't yet opened up with their full symphony yet.

With a cup of coffee and a few slices of wheat toast I decided to run through the list of upcoming movies on cable to set the DVR. While I was doing that I stumbled upon MGMHD which was playing the cult classic Robert Blake movie "Electra Glide In Blue". I remember seeing the film when I was a very young man, so it holds a special place in time for me. I settled in with my coffee and watched it, beginning to end. It is definitely a slice of time, firmly grounded in the era (1973).

When I find myself sliding into nostalgia I often wonder "dang, was I ever really that young"? The answer is yes, of course I was. There have been a lot of miles and adventures and misadventures between here and there. I have to confess to having enjoyed most of them though. A few I could have done without.

Anyway, if you've never seen the movie and you can find it, it is worth a watch.

My plan for today is to move easily through the day. I want to keep it nice and relaxed this weekend. Just ease through the pleasant late winter day.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the end song "Tell Me" by Terry Kath (also very much a slice of the time and place).

No comments: