Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Three Movie Day

Friday (my day off) was a truly lazy day. During the course of the day I saw three very different movies.

First, I went down to the AMC 14 Theater and caught "The Lincoln Lawyer" - which was better than I had anticipated. It is a solid little crime thriller with an excellent cast, including many of the supporting actors. It is meticulously plotted, foreshadowed, and pretty flawlessly delivered. If you like that type of movie, I would definitely recommend it.

Second, I came home and watched the musical "Nine" with Daniel Day Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Judy Dench and Fergie. It was also an excellent movie, though entirely different. My favorite number in the film was Fergie's "Be Italian". (There is a link if you're unfamiliar with the movie, the song, or the artist.)

Then, as I wound down the evening, I ran through the channels to see if there was anything worth watching, one of my personal favorites for a thoroughly enjoyable movie was on - John Travolta and Uma Thurman in "Be Cool". So, I finished up the day laughing and enjoying that movie, including the excellent part played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

I'd recommend any of those three movies without hesitation - all for different reasons, but all worth watching. Then, today (Sunday), I got together with my friends and we all went to see "Sucker Punch". Well, as much as I would like to say that Zack Snyder hit a home run - uh, no can do - there are about thirty minutes of excellent film there (the WWI and the WWII scenes) there rest of it is pretty much a clean miss. There really isn't a plot. There really isn't a theme. Snyder sampled widely for themes and images and unfortunately he sampled...a lot of bad movies. The only thing worst than that is that - if he didn't realize what he was doing, well, that is whole other level of "Bad Movie".

No comments: