Monday, August 1, 2011

The Return

Rapidly back into the swing of things at work I was struck by two things today.

First, the volume of irrelevant email is, as always, amazingly high. I picture offices full of people whose sole job is to write irrelevant email and see how widely they can get them distributed.

Second, I am struck by the number of times people in a big organization are simply looking for someone, anyone, to throw them a lifeline of some sort. Usually, it's because they work for people who fall into the first category above.

So, with those two observations in place - it was a good return to work. Yes, I had a small mountain of email to surmount, but I managed to get through about 75% of it. Yes, I went to a meeting that spun out of control and stretched on and on and on. Yes, working for micro-manager's is as pointless as it is amusing. But, all in all, it was a productive day.

I don't have anything major planned for the next couple of months, so I am looking forward to slipping into a simple routine and savoring these late summer days. Of course, that is a plan, and we all know what happens to the best of plans.

No comments: