Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Slowing Down The Day


I had to take steps today to simply slow the day down. I was in the aftermath of yesterday and my day started out with a small piece of chaos. Like many corporations we use proximity badges and card readers to move about inside the plant, so your employee badge is not just a handy form of identification, it's a necessity if you want to go anywhere.

In the routine of getting ready for work this morning I left without my badge. I drove all the way to work (about twenty minutes or so) and was literally in line waiting to pass through the outer perimeter gate when I realized I didn't have my badge. It is enough of an inconvenience to not have your badge that it is worthwhile to go home and get it when you forget it.

So, basically, I started the day by repeating my commute - twice. Fortunately, I was running early enough that I managed to dodge most of the traffic, even on the second commute. On top of that I had the wonderful company of Florence and the Machine, whose album "Lungs" has been in high rotation in my car CD player.

Realizing that the act of forgetting my badge and having to play Ground Hog Day with the commute had the potential to side-track me, I made the decision that once I got into the office I would do everything in my power to simply slow the day down. I was pretty successful. I eased through the day, making the choices that kept things at a low key.

When the end of the day arrived I was ready to head home. I grabbed dinner at JC's on Saratoga (chicken and a salad) and then spent a simple and quiet evening with T.R.. It is still early here tonight and my plan is to ease out of the day like I eased through the day, with a quiet hour or so of reading before I fall asleep.

No comments: