Friday, August 12, 2011

Two Dreams and A Brown Out

I slept well last night, after I read myself to sleep. (I still haven't finished "Spares", but I am no nmore than another reading session or two out from finishing it.) During the night I dreamed of two things.

First, I dreamed that I had a new attache case. I've been thinking about getting one. My current computer bag, though it works well, has seen better days. I've been looking at one of the leather ones down at OfficeMax, but I haven't made the decision to jump yet. In the dream, I had one, but rather than being filled with work related things (like my current case is), it was filled with compact art supplies - a drawing box, a painting box, a folding easel, a brush case, etc. It was as if the art supplies, in their boxes, were designed specifically to fit the attache case. That was pretty cool.

Second, I dreamed about a giant hole in the ground. It was about fifteen to twenty feet across, bored into the earth, with irregular edges. It was surrounded by stanchions with yellow safety tape, keeping people back from the edge, and there was an observation platform that allowed people to get close to the edge and look down into the hole. Though I had no clear picture or idea what I was doing, I had the sense, in the dream, that I was preparing to descend into the hole with a ground of other explorers. There was a sense of impending excitement, like the excitement of exploration.

I woke this morning with the memory of both of dreams. I will attribute them to the raft of strange and vivid dreams I've been having lately, most of which I have been blaming on the process of completely rearranging my apartment.

Even this morning I spent some time in the bedroom, both getting ready to go out and do some laundry and putting together a box of clothing to drop off at the donation center. I am often amused by the times you buy clothes - and they look good, the fit well, and at the end of six months you realize - you just never wear them. Those are the clothes that are perfect for the donation center.

At about 8:00 AM this morning (7:53 AM according to PG&E) my neighborhood went into what is basically a brown out. There was some sort of large report outside (I assume it was a transformer or a junction box going), and then the power to the apartment got all wonky. I am getting power, but it is a low level of power. For example, the laptop charger is working, the modem is working, that low watt hall light is working - but the higher watt items - the TV, the overhead lamps, the cable box, etc. - they are all either not working, or they were flickering on and off so I had to turn them off. The overhead lights come on, but they come on very dimly and they flicker. So, I figured that was a perfect excuse to turn off the TV and get the day started with a couple of loads of laundry. According to the PG&E map the brown out doesn't extend to the laundromat, so I should be good there.

No comments: