Sunday, August 21, 2011

Technical Dreams


A technical dream infiltrated my sleep last night. We're got a problem at work (the worst kind, intermittent) where, when a user clicks on a link that is supposed to open a Microsoft Word template in Windows 7, the template starts to open - and then blinks and closes, but the application logs that the act of creation was successful.

I am sure that it is a setting or a flag somewhere in the wrong position, but Windows 7 security has the desktop locked down pretty tightly, so we have to rely on the Windows 7 support team - and so far, that has been pretty disappointing. Last night, I dreamed that I finally figured out what flag was causing the problem and, as suspected it, was a simple problem. In the coming week, I think I am going to try and carve out a couple of hours to see how deeply I can get into this specific problem.

I had a second dream, which was also work related, but I only vaguely remember it. In that dream, I was helping a couple of co-workers from another department moving some boxes of marketing collateral. It was a very vague dream, in all I recall is they had a small red pickup with a big stack of boxes in the back. I was walking across the parking lot to get my car so I could take some of the boxes and lower the height of the stack in the back of the red truck.

Other than the two dreams, it was a nice night. I watched Torchwood: Miracle Day on the DVR when I got home, spent a little time reading the latest issue of Asimov's, and went to bed fairly early. I slept well and then lingered in bed this morning. Breakfast was a cinnamon danish with cheese, coffee, and now a tall glass of iced water, watching Reliable Sources of CNN. I am going to get together with the guys this afternoon for lunch at Red Robin and then the new "Conan" movie with Jason Mamoa.

I think I am going to have a slow and lazy morning, spend some time sorting through my book stack, maybe doing some idle rearrangement in the apartment. Whether or not I'll stick to the plan remains to be seen, but there is a plan to start the day.

No comments: