Thursday, January 12, 2012

Skunk!

So, I was driving to work this morning and I turned the corner at Baylands Park and drove right into the wonderful cloud of...skunk!  I must have missed the actual spraying by minutes as it was a powerful scent.  I drove through it, trying my best to hold my breath.  Then, I went to work.

We had a few challenges today, mostly technical, so that occupied most of the day.  Other than that, it was a fairly productive day, a handful of meetings, a spot of work. some productive analysis related stuff.  Then, when the day wound up, I walked out to the Saturn, jumped in and...skunk! 

It wasn't very bad, but it was present and...well...present.  I drove all the way home with the windows rolled down, then hit the inside of the car with some Ozium to kill whatever scent the skunk had left behind.  It did remind of an event in my youth.

My family had a small hayfield just outside of town, right on the edge of town, and during lunch, myself and two of my friends left the school grounds and went over to the hayfield to wander around.  While wandering we encountered a skunk.  More importantly, we surprised the skunk.  Never, ever, surprise a skunk.  The skunk let go and nailed two of us (my other friend was far enough away he didn't take the brunt of it).

We headed back to school and were immediately excused from class.  We were sent to the playground to wait for the bus home.  When the time came to catch the bus, the driver put the two of us all the way in the back of the bus, with all the windows open, and all of the other students (about thirty) crammed into the front of the bus, as far away from us as they could possibly get.  When we finally arrived home the driver made us get out of the back of the bus, through the emergency exit.

The moral of the remembered story is pretty simple.  Never, ever surprise a skunk.

No comments: