Monday, April 7, 2014

A Brief Thought About Work Pay Offs

Five hours into a typical work Monday and I need to pause.  It was a beautiful dawn this morning, a pale blue sky, cool breeze, and the promise of sunshine.  I paused in the parking lot to enjoy it and I should have paused longer. But the sweep of the clock of the day is inexorable.  I came into the office and immediately went into my first meeting.  I’ve basically been on solid meetings from 7:00 AM unto 10:45 AM - and I am grateful that the last meeting wrapped up a little bit early as it gives me an opportunity to take a breather before flowing into the next series of meetings.  Later in the afternoon I have a window in my schedule to attempt to get something done, but I know very well that, on Monday’s, that is a mostly futile activity. I am looking forward to the week ahead though - I have a lot of work that I need to get done, but I definitely feel like the tasks ahead of me are within my ability to accomplish.  I dislike the feeling that comes on some work days (weeks, months, years) where you feel as if your best efforts are going to accomplish nothing.  That is not a good feeling.  We all like to feel as if we can accomplish something, as if the hours and thought and effort we invest in work will pay off.

No comments: