Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Temper, Temper, Temper

I skirted against the edges of my temper today.  At work, we are going to move from the area where we are currently located by ourselves to a new area that we will share with another group.  I am apprehensive about the move. 

The other group is larger than we are and in our history with being co-mingled with other larger groups - we often end up struggling for the essentials, since the larger group can simple overwhelm us.  The complicate matters, we are moving into an area with a group with which we have bad history.

Now, it is always a challenge to not let the history influence the present too much - but it is also a mistake to forget the lessons of history. In a rather heated discussion with the manager of the other group today, I made it clear that I am sincerely worried about the issue and the potential issues that are going to arrive. 

I am further exasperated because I think the other group gave our group the short shrift in planning the move and in how the area is going to configured.  And I am further frustrated because I think our management was asleep at the switch while this was going on.  Now, I am going to have to push fairly hard to make sure our group is taken care of.  A frustrating day all in all and I get even more frustrated because it all could have been handled much better.

This seems to be one of those things where I should probably just let it go - but that is difficult for me. I have deeply buried within me an unwillingness to just go along to get along.  The dehumanization that is possible in large companies is always very difficult for me to swallow and I refuse to (it is the Kool-Aid that I won't drink, LOL, which is what started the whole conflict with my Director, when she told me I had to drink the Kool-Aid) just let it go.  Is it a battle I should fight?  Probably not...probably not.  But, well, temper, temper, temper.

No comments: