Saturday, April 19, 2014

Day Three of Vacation

Friday, the first day Wondercon was enjoyable. We had breakfast a little late, the buffet here at the hotel, but it was a good breakfast. They do a nice buffet. From there we walked over to the convention center, which is really right next-door, and picked up our badges. Considering the volume of people they move it was a smooth experience. We split out, Tony headed for the main arena and a presentation on several television shows. Rick and I headed upstairs and we caught the tail end of women writers in comics panel and then an animation short film Festival. Both of them were very enjoyable, especially the animated short films.

From there we basically just wandered the floor. They have a good size vendor hall here so in reality we scratched maybe a quarter of it. I focused down on artist alley and picked up a handful of comic books, graphic novels and art collections. At some point in there we had lunch over at the Marriott. So, all in all a good day.

After the show we went out for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack down the street. It was crowded, but the food was good and the ambience was enjoyable. At one point during dinner they played the song Cotton Eyed Joe and all of the poor waitresses had to dance. It was entertaining to watch but there was an element of guilty pleasure. I have fond memories of the song from my childhood but those memories do not include waitresses dancing in Southern California. I suspect that was a different childhood and an alternate universe.

After dinner we headed back to the hotel, watch a spot of HBO, and then I fell almost instantly to sleep. I was up bright and early this morning and headed down to get breakfast to beat the crowd. Now I'm sitting in the room drinking a cup of hot coffee and waiting for the day to start. It looks to be a very good one. Today is going to be my picture day so I'm going to try to have my camera in hand all day.

Sent from Wondercon

No comments: