Friday, April 18, 2014

Day Two - Vacation

I am starting with an entry for day two of my vacation. Day one was long but very nice. We drove down from San Jose to Anaheim for Wondercon - Rick, Tony and I. We drove down in Tony's new car, his Ford C-Max. It was a pleasant enough drive, the car was comfortable enough. Traffic down the I-5 flowed pretty smoothly.

At highway 138 we diverted off into the desert toward Lancaster. One of my coworkers had told me about the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve. That was our destination. The trip took us out through some beautiful country on the northern side of the Angeles National Forest. The destination was well worth the detour. Imagine rolling California hills covered with brilliant orange poppies. It was quite a sight to see.

From there for reasons known only to the gods of GPS we drove down through the national forest to LA. Now, it was a beautiful drive, but it was twisty and turny. By the time we got to the end I was threatening to use Tony's denim jacket as my airsickness bag. But we made it safely…

Right into that awesome experience that is rush-hour traffic in Los Angeles. It took us about an hour and a half to get through LA, most of it about 5 miles an hour. But once we're through it was a quick hop to Anaheim, and a smooth check in here at the Hilton. We had a late dinner in the hotel restaurant, a place called mix. It is very good and we split between steak (me) and halibut (Rick and Tony). Very good on both counts.

Then off to the wonderful world of sleep. I slept well and woke up at my usual time about 6 o'clock. I padded around a bit and then crawled back into bed and slept another two hours. During the night my subconscious released at torrent of the dream images. I love it when that happens when I go on vacation because it means that I'm clearing my mind out and settling into the moment. So, from that moment to this one – where I am sitting here savoring the morning cup of coffee, watching the sunrise over Anaheim, and about to dive in the shower.

Sent from Wondercon

No comments: